A friend of mine asked me to do this post so, here it is: Being able to identify edible plants can be a very useful survival skill. If you are not sure about a plant it is usually best to just leave it alone. There are many more edible plants in North America but, I thought these would be the best to put on this list.
Edible Plant Safety
When harvesting wild plants you should follow some basic wild plant safety tips. Careless people can be poisoned if they are not careful. If you found a plant? that you think is edible but you are not completely sure it is best to follow these steps: Rub a little bit of the plant on your skin and wait a few hours. If you didn’t get a rash, you can put a little on your lips and wait 10 minutes. If every thing feels normal, you should be good to swallow a little bit. In 8 more hours if you don’t have a stomach ache you should be safe to eat more of that plant.
- Dandelions- Every one is familiar with the lawn weed but, not everyone knows that the entire plant can be eaten from top to bottom. The flowers? can be eaten straight of the plant and are actually quite refreshing. The roots can also be eaten but, it’s suggested that you cook them. They can be found just about anywhere in North America.[buymeapie-recipe id=’1′]
- Cattails- Cattails can be found in marshy areas in North America. The leaves can be eaten without anything done as well as the stem. You can also make baskets out of cattail. The fiber are hard to swallow and can give you a stomach ache.
- Wild Onions- Another edible plant that is found all over North America. You can tell if a plant is an onion plant
by smelling the green little grass like stem. They can be eaten raw or cooked. They also go great in salads.
- Watercress- Watercress can be found in the Northern United States as well as Canada. It is best eaten raw but, could be cooked in a soup. Watercress is great for salads, soups, and sandwiches.
- Cactus- All true cactus? can be eaten but, most taste best cooked and peeled. If you chose to eat them raw take out all the spines. Cactus? can be found in most deserts of North America.
- Wild Blackberries- Most wild berries? are poisonous so, it is a general rule of thumb to leave them alone. Wild blackberries on the other hand are easy to identify and are 100% safe to eat. Wild blackberries are actually quite tasty and go great in salads. They are usually best to harvest in the spring when the plants have flowers. They are located in the United States and some part of Canada.
- Walnuts- Walnut trees are the tallest nut trees in North America. The nut can be found inside the hard shell, that can be removed with a knife. The meat of the nut can be eaten. Again, Walnuts are one of the edible plants that can be found all over North America.
- Acorns- Acorns? are easily recognizable. They are very bitter so, I only recommend them as a last option. If you do choose to eat them they should be cooked. They are found in the upper half of North America.
Well, that’s Edible Plants In North America! Have a Question or want to make a suggestion? Post them in the comment section right below this post. Until my next post, Adventurer Tony over and out?. P.S. How do you like the emojis?